I wish I could take credit for coming up with recipes on my own but most of what I cook I get from friends or online and then tweak it to meet our dietary restrictions and preferences. I kidnapped this delicious breakfast casserole recipe from my friend Rachel and I really didn’t change much other than adding Manchego cheese and using Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage versus chorizo. And I also added crushed red peppers because I pretty much add that to everything. Some like it hot!
What I love about this recipe is you can make it on one day and it provides breakfast for the whole week. This is great for me since cooking is way easier when Luke can watch Olivia. It’s tasty right out of the oven, warmed up, and even served cold. As always, you can find the recipe in my Plan To Eat
- 1 sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 1 TB of olive oil
- 1/2 a yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound of breakfast sausage
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup of cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 oven safe dish or line with parchment paper. Place sweet potato on bottom.
- Warm skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, bell pepper. Saute until onions are translucent. Add sausage to the skillet and cook until browned. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red peppers.
- Transfer mixture to pan.
- Crack eggs in a bowl. Whisk.
- Pour eggs over mixture.
- Sprinkle with your choice of cheese. I used Manchego cheese which makes it safe for those with a lactose intolerance.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are solid.
- Serve warm or chilled.