We went to a friend’s house the other day and they were eating a tasty dish with veggies, quinoa and chicken. When I asked her what it was she said it was a Quinoa Bowl and you can find all kinds of recipes online. Of course when I started googling I didn’t see any that stood out to me so I decided to just invent my own. I have to say, it turned out quite well! And if you are wondering why there is shrimp in my veggie bowl, well my husband can’t quite manage a meal without some kind of fish or meat. If you want to give this a try, you can find the recipe in my Plan To Eat or just follow the directions below.
- 2 cups of uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3-4 shallots, julienned
- 5-7 brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, optional for topping
- salsa, optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine veggies, olive oil, chili powder, crushed red pepper and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Toss to coat.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and roast until sweet potatoes are easily penetrated with a fork.
- While veggies are cooking, place uncooked quinoa in a pot and combine with water, chicken broth and remaining 2 teaspoons of cumin. Bring to boil and then reduce to low/med until liquids have evaporated. Fluff with a fork.
- Place quinoa in a bowl and layer on veggies. Top with salsa, cilantro and avocado. Serve immediately.
- For those out there who can’t imagine food without meat, add sautéed shrimp or chicken seasoned with cumin.