A few weeks ago I was going through my Betty Crocker cookbook and came across this recipe for Chewy Pizza Bread. Since then I’ve made it twice. Yes, twice. My favorite thing about it, outside of the cheesy deliciousness, of course, is the fact that there are only six main ingredients and five of them I almost always have on hand. My husband’s favorite thing about this recipe is it calls for one cup of beer which means he gets to drink the rest. No wonder he keeps asking me to make it!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup beer, nonalcoholic or regular
- 3/4 cup pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup cheese*, shredded
- Basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- Crushed red peppers (optional)
- Heat oven to 425°F. Coat an 8-inch square pan with olive oil or other non-stick option.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in beer just until flour is moistened. Spread dough in pan. Spread pasta sauce over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with basil and crushed red pepper (if desired). Cut into 2-inch squares. Serve warm.
*I use Manchengo (sheep’s) cheese which makes this a lactose free treat perfect for those with dairy allergies.