I like to think of myself as crafty until I meet a truly crafty person and everything falls into perspective. But every once in a while I channel my inner Melynda and manage to pull off something super cute. This particular project I actually learned from her. We made several of them together a few years ago and when I couldn’t find the perfect piece of art to complete my bedroom decor I decided to resurrect this project. The best part is it’s incredibly easy to do and doesn’t cost a fortune.
- 12″x12″x1/4″ piece of wood*
- Sanding sponge or sand paper
- Paint brush (optional)
- Scissors or paper-cutter
- Foam paint brush
- Mod Podge
- 12″x12″ scrapbook paper
- Sawtooth hangers
- Sand all four edges of the wood and one face with sanding sponge, rounding the corners slightly. You can sand the whole thing if you like but I tend to go with the path that requires the least upper body workout.
- Paint the edges with a color of your choice using either a regular or foam paint brush. I usually choose a color that complements the paper I have selected. Be sure overlap the paint onto the front and back sides of the board. It doesn’t have to look pretty. One side will be against the wall and the other will be covered by paper.
- Measure your paper against the board and trim any excess with scissors or a paper-cutter.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the sanded face of the board using a foam paint brush. You may need to dilute it slightly with water.
- Starting in one corner, carefully place the scrapbook paper on top.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge around the edges to ensure the paper does not lift.
- Once the art has dried, turn over and attach the sawtooth hanger to the top center of the art about 1/2″-1″ from the top.
- Hang in your home, office or random location as desired!
*I usually buy a 2’x4′ and cut it into eight pieces. It is important to note that a 2’x4′ is usually more of an almost 2’x4′ so your pieces may not end up exactly 12″x12″. That isn’t a problem as long as they are all relatively close to the same size.